Friday, May 27, 2011

To Lay Down One’s Life for One’s Friends

May 27, 2011

Friday of the Fifth Week of Easter

By Melanie Rigney

The Apostles and presbyters, in agreement with the whole Church, decided to choose representatives and to send them to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas. The ones chosen were Judas, who was called Barsabbas, and Silas, leaders among the brothers. This is the letter delivered by them: “The Apostles and the presbyters, your brothers, to the brothers in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia of Gentile origin: greetings. Since we have heard that some of our number who went out without any mandate from us have upset you with their teachings and disturbed your peace of mind, we have with one accord decided to choose representatives and to send them to you along with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, who have dedicated their lives to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. So we are sending Judas and Silas who will also convey this same message by word of mouth: ‘It is the decision of the Holy Spirit and of us not to place on you any burden beyond these necessities, namely, to abstain from meat sacrificed to idols, from blood, from meats of strangled animals, and from unlawful marriage. If you keep free of these, you will be doing what is right. Farewell.’” (Acts 15:22-29)

I will give you thanks among the peoples, O Lord. (Psalms 57:10)

Jesus said to his disciples: “This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. This I command you: love one another.” (John 15:12-17)

Piety

Lord, help me to lay it down—my petty grudges, my insecurities, my fears—and love people the way You love me.

Study

“No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends,” Jesus tells the disciples in what amounts to his final homily before he’s taken into custody. He was about to lay down his life in the most graphic, literal sense possible, to suffer scourging and crucifixion that we might all have eternal life.

We see dramatic examples of others doing the same in times of senseless violence: Parents bartering their lives for their children’s in hostage situations. Friends offering to take a bullet for friends. Christians in hostile nations continuing to share the Good News at risk of prison and even execution.

There are other ways to lay down your life for Jesus and his friends.

· You can make time for quiet conversation with Christ.

· You can make room in your budget to increase your donation to your parish, your ongoing contribution to the Bishop’s Lenten Appeal, or to a favorite charity.

· You can go to coffee or dinner with a friend who needs to talk about the uncertainty, stress, or despair in his life.

· You can write a letter of thanks to someone who influenced you greatly during a time of personal struggle.

· You can stop wasting energy on holding grudges.

And if you offer up even one of these small deaths, you may find the new life that rises out of laying it down is pretty amazing.

Action

What are you holding tight that keeps you from laying down your life for a friend? Journal about ways you might let it go. You might enjoy listening to Melanie Safka’s “Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)” as you meditate. The song is posted here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkeqhqU69gw