Monday, June 13, 2011

God Makes the Sun Rise on Us All

June 14, 2011

Tuesday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth De Cristofaro

(Jesus Said) But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. (Matthew 5:44-45)

Piety

(The Lord) Who keeps faith forever,
secures justice for the oppressed,
gives food to the hungry.
The LORD sets captives free.

The LORD gives sight to the blind.
The LORD raises up those who were bowed down;
the LORD loves the just.
The LORD protects strangers.
(Psalm 146:6-7, 8-9)

Study

A political saying goes “When my neighbor loses a job, it’s a recession. When I lose my job it’s a depression.” For God, when either my neighbor or I lose a job, lose a loved one, lose hope, God is right there “keeping faith forever.” I must say, it is sometimes hard to imagine this as I read the papers or hear a story and think: there for the grace of God go I. Or isn’t that to bad…wonder what I should wear to work tomorrow in this oppressive heat.

When I think about it, it gives me great pause to realize that God doesn’t put me on the back burner even though in my humanness that is often where I put others. Even our prayers often reflect this: we pray for our country every day in many parishes including mine but we do not necessarily pray for the countries which are experiencing deadly conflicts, debilitating living conditions and drought or famine. How often do we pray for the prostitute? The pimp? The suicide bomber? The abusive or neglectful spouse? Our minds just can’t process all the hurt, despair, cruelty and our hearts become too pierced or too defended. And, they are not me. But God’s heart does not close to anyone as the psalmist says.

God does count on me to open my heart as much as I am able so that the bowed down, the captive, the stranger might experience here and now a little of what God’s heart offers. I pray that my heart may be every day open a little more.

Action

Sometimes it feels like such an imposition to be asked for help – or to see a situation which might be made better if I intervene. Paul commended the church in Corinth when: they gave themselves first to the Lord and to us through the will of God, (2 Corinthians 8:5). Look for an opportunity to engage someone different than you and look for the presence of God within her/him. Rejoice in praying for her/him and yourself and the gifts of God you both enjoy.