Tuesday, June 28, 2011

There is Hope for Us

Solemnity of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

By Colleen O'Sullivan


I, Paul, am already being poured out like a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance. (2 Timothy 4:6-8)

(Jesus) said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church.” (Matthew 16:15-18a)

Piety

Our hope rests in you, O Lord, who can transform our lives.

Study

As Christians, we share a common goal. Ultimately, we want to get to heaven. We hope to be with the Lord forever in the company of all the angels and saints. Yet, some days that seems like an almost unattainable goal. I do such stupid things. I want to be faithful, but so often I stumble and fall. I love the Lord, but sometimes I turn my back on him and go my own sinful way. I can be petty and self-centered. I can be blind to the poverty and suffering of my brothers and sisters just a few blocks away. When I gaze into the mirror, heaven looks to be a long journey away.

But then we have a day like this one, when we remember the lives and deaths of two of the giants of the Church, Saints Peter and Paul. For me, it’s a day of hope, when we are reminded that we don’t have to be perfect. God can take our very flawed lives and, through the working of the Spirit, make something useful out of us.

Take Paul, for instance. He was the student of one of the greatest rabbis, Gamaliel. His keen intellect and the education he received are reflected in his writings. He labored tirelessly in his efforts to spread the gospel. But, as the young man Saul, he had applied that very same zeal to unceasingly persecuting Christians! When I reflect on Paul’s life, I know that there’s hope. If we are open to the working of the Spirit in our lives, we can be turned 180 degrees from a life of sin to a life pleasing to God.

Or look at Peter. Personally, I can more easily relate to him than to Paul. Peter was no Harvard graduate. He was just an ordinary person. Not always the quickest learner, after being in the company of Jesus for three years, he is the one disciple who sees that Jesus is the Christ, but just a few verses later, shows that he doesn’t understand a thing about Jesus’ Messiahship. He refuses to hear that the Messiah will suffer. Jesus rebukes him sharply, tells him that he’s letting Satan and the world influence his thinking. Peter is the one who wants to walk on water but can’t keep his eyes on the Lord and so begins to sink. He wants to be faithful but fearfully denies knowing Jesus three times. What sorrow and shame he then feels at having let his friend down in his hour of suffering. Peter is well aware of his failings and inadequacies. In spite of or maybe because of all this, Jesus loves him dearly and calls him the Rock upon whom he will build his Church. Yes, there is hope for all of us if Jesus can take this bumbling disciple and turn him into one of the greatest evangelizers and leaders of the early church.

Action
When you are praying today, offer to the Lord those parts of your life that need transformation. If Peter and Paul could become saints, there is hope that God will make something better of each of us if we are open to the movement of God’s Spirit within us.