Monday, August 22, 2011

Be Entrusted With the Gospel

August 23, 2011

By Beth DeCristofaro

But as we were judged worthy by God to be entrusted with the Gospel, that is how we speak, not as trying to please men, but rather God, who judges our hearts. (1 Thessalonians 2:4)

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know the whole of it. Behind me and before, you hem me in and rest your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; too lofty for me to attain. (Psalm 139:4-6)

(Jesus said) “… cleanse first the inside of the cup so that the outside also may be clean.” (Matthew 23:26)

Piety

Hem me in, Lord, with your saving presence. Rest your hand upon me in times of sorrow to console me, in moments of fear to strengthen me, when I doubt or am lost to guide me and to help me find peace and see you in joy. May I bring the world your Gospel in piety, study and action. (from Psalm 139)

Study

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/082311.cfm

Today, on the Memorial of the Queenship of Mary, we are reminded by Paul and by Jesus that God knows us better than we know ourselves. Jesus knew the hypocrisy of the synagogue leaders. God knew Mary even in her mother’s womb and knew that she was a clean vessel within and without, strong in faith and open to the grace of God’s invitation to be entrusted with the Word. As the psalmist sings so beautifully, You have searched me and you know me, Lord, … even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know the whole of it. Mary knew also, because of her willingness to be overcome with the grace of God that, also from the psalm Behind me and before, (God) hems me in and rests your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; too lofty for me to attain.” Mary did not aspire to knowledge, power, prestige or to please anyone but her God. Her Fiat, welcoming the overwhelming grace and presence of God won her the Queenship. She delivered the Gospel to the world through body, soul and every day action.

I find it hard not to be swayed with the pursuit of knowledge, prestige in the form of acknowledgement by colleagues and the freedom to do my own thing in my own way and time. This borders on what Jesus harshly designates as plunder and self-indulgence. It is what my culture and upbringing call good citizenship and self-fulfillment. Bringing myself back through piety, study and action to being hemmed in with God’s presence, of rejoicing in God’s hand upon me I can find fulfillment in being a daughter of God, created and called by God. It is from here that I can in a small way respond as Mary responded with a “yes” created for me.

Action

God entrusts us with the Gospel through our Baptism. Are we being trustworthy or are we distracted by “gospels” of our own making?

Using the Gospel readings each day grounds us in the Gospel. The Catholic Bishops also have helpful documents to help ground us in how the Gospel can be activated in our every day actions.

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/take-action-now/capwiz/