Monday, August 01, 2011

Why do you doubt?

August 2, 2011

Tuesday of the Eighteenth Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses on the pretext of the marriage he had contracted with a Cushite woman. They complained, “Is it through Moses alone that the LORD speaks? Does he not speak through us also?” And the LORD heard this. … So angry was the LORD against them that when he departed, and the cloud withdrew from the tent, there was Miriam, a snow-white leper! When Aaron turned and saw her a leper, he said to Moses, “Ah, my lord! Please do not charge us with the sin that we have foolishly committed! (Numbers 12:1-2, 9-11)

Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore, was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it. … Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened; and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” After they got into the boat, the wind died down. (Matthew 14:24, 30-32)

Piety

Dear Lord, three things I pray: to see thee more clearly, love thee more dearly, follow thee more nearly, day by day… (from Godspell)

Study

I got put out of my classroom and told to stand in the hall by my teacher during fourth grade because I made fun of a classmate and the squirmy feeling of embarrassment, that misery of knowing that I was wrong, still returns to me today when I think about it. It was a deliberate and mean act. Of course I justified myself because she really wasn’t the nicest person and she didn’t like me… Looking back I see that I chose to be mean just like Miriam and Aaron chose to lie and slander Moses. To draw an analogy with today’s Gospel, we often choose to stir up waves in our lives and to try to walk on those waves of our own wrong-headed thinking. As if just being human doesn’t give us enough waves and deserts in our lives already.

And I sunk! I was ashamed, out of favor with a favorite teacher, mom and dad upset with me. Inside I knew for myself how wrong I was. But I see the readings today, and the Gospel from Sunday that show that God choosing to come towards us continually even when we are miserable. Jesus chose to feed the hungry people instead of sending them away to take care of themselves. God came to talk with Moses, Miriam and Aaron. Jesus came across the dangerous waters toward the boat and invited Peter to join him. God came to me through my conscience, formed by my parents and teachings of faith and I knew how wrong I was.

Action

I was forgiven by my teacher and parents. I have, during my life, also learned something about where to put my eyes – on God - because I don’t have the ability to walk on water alone. My choices are often wrongheaded or at least suspect.

What waves are we creating in our lives? Have we made decisions which still reverberate in our souls or ongoing choices which wreak havoc with our relationships to God and community? Or what uncontrollable waves not of our making are threatening to swamp us – illness, poverty, conflict, disaster… Sit with God. Make room for Jesus in the boat with you. Then reach out to others who are impacted by your waves with reconciliation and love.