Wednesday, August 17, 2011

You, Yes You, O Lord

August 18, 2011

Thursday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

When Jephthah returned to his house in Mizpah, it was his daughter who came out to meet him, with tambourine-playing and dancing. She was his only child: he had neither son nor daughter besides her. When he saw her, he tore his garments and said, “Ah, my daughter! You have struck me down and brought calamity upon me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and I cannot take it back.” “Father,” she replied, “you have made a vow to the LORD. Do with me as you have vowed, because the LORD has taken vengeance for you against your enemies the Ammonites.” Judges 11:34-36

But when the king came in to meet the guests he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment. He said to him, ‘My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?’ But he was reduced to silence. Then the king said to his attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’ Many are invited, but few are chosen.” Matthew 22:11-14

Piety

Blessed the man who sets

his security in the LORD,

who turns not to the arrogant

or to those who stray after falsehood.

You, yes you, O LORD, my God,

have done many wondrous deeds!

And in your plans for us

there is none to equal you.

Should I wish to declare or tell them,

too many are they to recount.

Sacrifice and offering you do not want;

you opened my ears.

Holocaust and sin-offering you do not request;

so I said, “See; I come

with an inscribed scroll written upon me.

I delight to do your will, my God;

your law is in my inner being!” Psalm 40:5-9

Study

Ever throw a party and nobody shows up? The loving and hospitable king in today's parable must feel pretty dejected trying to get his people to attend the wedding feast. People were invited but put other things ahead of attending the party. They had their agenda and it was not the same as the King's. Finally, King throws the gates of the party open to whomever would come. Open seating. While people did attend, many showed up with little or no preparation. Dressed too casually. They probably did not even bring a gift for the bride and groom.

Action

What does this have to do with us today? It's summer vacation season. Have you already headed off to the beach or the mountains? Do you have a getaway planned before Labor Day arrives? You are probably packing and planning what to bring and what to do. On that list, while away, where will you attend Mass? Take a minute and look up the nearest Church. Take some time out to be thankful for your rest and get to know some of the local people where you will spend some time.