Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hear God’s Word and Act on It

September 20, 2011

Memorial of Saint Andrew Kim Taegõn, priest and martyr,

Saint Paul Chõng Hasang, martyr and their companions, martyrs

By Beth DeCristofaro

I rejoiced because they said to me, "We will go up to the house of the LORD." (Psalm 122:1)

He said to them in reply, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it." (Luke 8:21)

Piety

All together now!:

Missionaries Missionaries of Christ with His courage determined to conquer

CURSILLISTAS! Cursillistas who don't pay attention to human opinion

Let the cowards Let the cowards deride us and taunt us but it is the truth

That they really desire the pleasure of being in grace in colors with us.

Study

No matter that it is not the point of Jesus’ message, I always have a bit of a tug at my heartstrings when I read his words seeming to “dis” Mary. As a mom, when my daughters assured me that I didn’t understand them, I felt hurt even though they didn’t understand that my “no” or questioning of them was actually because I DID understand and wanted to teach, protect or call them to a larger responsibility.

Just as in Sunday’s Gospel when the vineyard workers didn’t comprehend God’s example of overpoweringly illogical love for each of them, whether the first or the last, Jesus’ words point to acceptance of the Word as opposed to a biological relationship or a membership entitlement. Something in me wonders if Mary smiled to herself, knowing full well what her son meant and knowing full well that her entire life was action on the Word. I often sighed (not so easy to smile in the moment!) knowing that my daughters would at some point realize and make their decisions with greater knowledge. God wants us to choose for ourselves to the best of our own abilities.

In matters of faith, we can go rejoicing because we are invited and all are invited. Today we remember Korean men, women and children who went rejoicing to martyrdom for their faith. We can go rejoicing as the Kingdom is built with our “yeses”. And we can go rejoicing if by our actions we inspire even the latecomers.

Action

Next weekend we have a women’s Cursillo filled with those who have heard God’s Word and are acting on it. How are you supporting them? What are you doing with your ongoing friendship with Christ to continue to hear the Word and Act?