Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Laboring For The Harvest

October 18 2011

Feast of Saint Luke, evangelist

By Beth DeCristofaro

At my first defense no one appeared on my behalf, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them! But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it. 2 Timothy 4:16-17

(Jesus) said to them, "The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest. Luke10:2

Piety

“Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” He replied to him, “Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:42-43)

Study

Paul sounds so very human in this letter, much like a son who is living away perhaps as a Peace Corps volunteer in a precarious country might sound in a letter home. Paul even asks for things he forgot: When you come, bring the cloak I left with Carpus in Troas, the papyrus rolls, and especially the parchments. My daughter has started her list of requests just a week after her move to New Orleans.

Jesus had little to pick from, a few laborers, none of whom felt up to the task. They followed and preceded others who were less than adequate, humanly speaking – Moses, Job, Ruth, Ignatius of Loyola, Dorothy Day and others. But graced by God, called by Jesus and emboldened by the Spirit they were adequate. The www.americancatholic.org website states that St. Luke’s Gospel has been known by several subtitles including “The Gospel of Absolute Renunciation: (Luke) stresses the need for total dedication to Christ.”

Luke, Paul and other very real humans labored for a harvest rich in the promise of new life.

Action

In what way are you laboring in the vineyard? Luke’s Gospel is also known as the Gospel of Mercy and the Gospel of Prayer and the Holy Spirit. Read a portion of the Gospel. Consider how Jesus touched the very real, frail, broken, inadequate people around him and brought them to the joy of salvation. In what ways might you ask Jesus to touch you? Now ask the Holy Spirit to embolden you.

http://www.americancatholic.org/features/saints/saint.aspx?id=1172