Monday, December 26, 2011

Word Of Life Made Visible

December 27, 2011

Feast of Saint John, Apostle and evangelist

By Beth DeCristofaro

What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we looked upon and touched with our hands concerns the Word of life — for the life was made visible; we have seen it and testify to it (1 John 1:1-2)

… he saw and believed. (John 20:8)

Piety

Holy One,
untamed
by the names
I give you,
in the silence
name me,
that I may know
who I am,
hear the truth
you have put into me,
trust the love
you have for me,
which you call me to live out
with my sisters and brothers
in your human family.
— “In the Silence Name Me”, Ted Loder, Guerillas of Grace: Prayers for the Battle

Study

For the first time that I ever remember, late Christmas morning after Mass and a delicious quiche breakfast, someone asked, “So are we going to open presents now or wait until everyone arrives?” I was secretly delighted because I’ve always enjoyed lengthening the day’s festivities. When our children were little, they had to wait until after Mass for any presents. As they grew a bit older, I caved in and allowed stockings to be emptied before Mass. And most years we all ate breakfast together before gathering under the tree.

We certainly enjoyed a peaceful, laughter-filled day this year with family. I must admit that afterwards I’m a little sated and ready for some space. The gift-giving, food-preparing, house cleaning, planning, decorating and all leaves me content but ready for a break. But in this Gospel we see that Jesus was not ever ready to take a break from fulfilling his love and redemption for us. Not two days ago we read of his humble yet holy birth and today we learn of the great gift to humanity of his triumph over death.

Jesus continues to love each and every one of us through His life, through His church, through the communities of faith and service which we join and act within, through the Sacraments most especially through the Eucharist. We see Jesus in the love of families and friends, in the poor and oppressed, in the resilient people who choose peace over conflict, in the caring for those hurt, sick and imprisoned. Jesus never takes a break modeling for us how to go about loving God and loving others.

Action

On this feast of John the Apostle, what have you seen and what do you believe? To what would you go running? Is Jesus there? How do you share Jesus with others?