Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Come Be My Sister, My Brother

January 24, 2012

Memorial of St. Francis de Sales

By Beth DeCristofaro

David, girt with a linen apron, came dancing before the LORD with abandon, as he and all the house of Israel were bringing up the ark of the LORD with shouts of joy and to the sound of the horn….Then David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD. When he finished making these offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts. He then distributed among all the people, to each man and each woman in the entire multitude of Israel, a loaf of bread, a cut of roast meat, and a raisin cake. With this, all the people left for their homes. (2 Samuel 6:14-15, 18-19)

(Jesus) said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother." (Mark 3:34-35)

Piety

Today, Lord Jesus, Help me to be who I am, made by God and beloved by you. And help me be myself perfectly well so as to witness to you. (based on the words of St. Francis de Sales)

Study

Maybe because it is almost Mardi Gras season, these readings just strike me as joyous, over-the-top and wonderful . When my daughter began college in New Orleans, I’ll admit to some trepidation due to the city’s reputation. I googled images of Mardi Gras and almost immediately came upon the gallery of photos from Slidell, LA’s parade of pets (Slidell being just over the Lake Pontchartrain causeway from the city). It immediately quelled a lot of my apprehensions. There were photos of families with children galore dressing their pug dogs up as Yoda, their German Shepherds as football players and families dressed to match the pets marching in the parade. Mardi Gras, of course, has its origins in readying for Lent, a time to celebrate life and God before the fasting and preparation of the Easter Season.

Somehow, reading the first reading, I think David would have understood and jumped on a float should a Barkus or Rex parade come past. His jubilant worship included a parade and treats – real food! – given out. Are there less than pious shenanigans going on? Probably in New Orleans and possibly in the city of David too. Jesus knows that as well.

Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister, He says. He generously welcomes those who choose God into His immediate family. The world is not too wide. But we choose, just as we choose the way we meet God and others every day. I’d like to think meeting others with joy and generosity might be a way to be a good sibling to our Lord.

Action

St. Francis de Sales was known for his gentleness, patience and kindly advice. His writings included the Introduction to the Devout Life which he wrote for the ordinary man and woman. In it he tolerated dancing and music and offered that each day is another opportunity to turn to God with focus and with love.

Take some time as you prepare for Lent to read some St. Francis de Sales or look into historical practices during Lent. Imagine joining in David’s procession. There are so many ways to witness God and witness to God.

No comments: