Thursday, February 23, 2012

Take Up His Cross Daily

February 23, 2012

Thursday After Ash Wednesday

"Today I have set before you life and prosperity, death and doom. If you obey the commandments of the LORD, your God, which I enjoin on you today, loving him, and walking in his ways, and keeping his commandments, statutes and decrees, you will live and grow numerous, and the LORD, your God, will bless you in the land you are entering to occupy." Deuteronomy 30:15-16

Then [Jesus] said to all, "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?" Luke 9:23-25

Piety

Father, help us overcome the obstacles that lead us away from your Ideal. Provide the grace that leads us to walk in your ways and carry our cross daily. Set us free from any decisions in which we do not put the other ahead denying our self for your sake. Amen.

Study

Choices. Every day we face them. Sometimes the choices seem minor but the consequences of those decisions will add up for all of us. " Paper or plastic?" the clerk asks at the grocery store. Now, we also have the choice to bring our own bags and save the fee charged in some places.

Other choices are much more demanding. Who shall get your vote? How will you invest your savings? How will you raise your children? Where will you attend college? who will be my spouse? Shall I join the military? What kind of medical care shall I seek? What charitable causes shall I support with my time and my money? Will I attend Group Reunion this week? Who can I sponsor for a weekend experience with Cursillo?

These are milestones that we face at critical junctures in our life. Certainly we can see how the choices we make on these major life decisions will impact where our lives will lead.

However, Moses and Jesus are not only talking about the major milestones and millstones. Today's scriptures lay out the stark reality of choices set forth by Jesus and Moses. They are talking about every decision we make every day. "Walk in his ways." Take up your cross daily." They are talking about what St. Theresa called the "little way." Because every step along the little way adds up to a giant leap along the way of the cross.

Action

What little choices will you make today?

What shall I eat for breakfast? What shall I wear today? What will I read? How shall I get to work? What time do I set aside for piety, study and action? Shall I delete this e-mail or share the message with others?

The choices of the day are the choices that add up to choosing life in abundance. These choices have consequences. What choices are you making for Lenten fasting and almsgiving?

No comments: