Thursday, March 15, 2012

By the Finger of God

March 15, 2012

Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Listen to my voice; then I will be your God and you shall be my people. Walk in all the ways that I command you, so that you may prosper. Jeremiah 7:23-24

But if it is by the finger of God that I drive out demons, then the Kingdom of God has come upon you. When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his possessions are safe. But when one stronger than he attacks and overcomes him, he takes away the armor on which he relied and distributes the spoils. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." Luke 11:20-23

Piety

Lord, let us hear your voice today. Make our hearts, minds and souls open to what you command.

Study

Jesus attacks and overcomes demons not by being more fully armed for battle. Jesus defeats the “strong man” by merely the finger of God. He does not need whips. Or thorns. Or crosses. Or nails. He does not need spears. Or arrows. Or guns. Jesus defeats the strong man with the Word.

What do we need? Our weapon is only as strong as our ear drum and the resolve of our feet to walk with God at His holy invitation.

Action

Who or what are the strong men enticing you to stray from obedience and humility to the Word of God? How will you bind them and defeat them? Look to your Lenten practices of prayer, fasting and almsgiving to break away from the hold that these forces exert in your life.

No comments: