Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Limitless Forgiveness

March 13, 2012

Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent

By Beth DeCristofaro

Do not let us be put to shame, but deal with us in your kindness and great mercy. Deliver us by your wonders, and bring glory to your name, O Lord." (Daniel 3:43)

Peter approached Jesus and asked him, "Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times. (Matthew 18:21-22)

Piety

To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul,

my God, in you I trust; …

Remember your compassion and your mercy, O LORD,

for they are ages old.

Remember no more the sins of my youth;

remember me according to your mercy,

because of your goodness, LORD.

(Psalm 25:1-2, 6-7)

Study

The notes to Jesus’ words in the Gospel explain that he enjoins the disciples to “limitless forgiveness.” No matter how often I read these words and am heartened by the promise inherent in them, I have a difficult time wrapping my head around what they mean in my everyday life. So as I thought about this reflection, I decided to go for a walk on a gorgeous March afternoon, taking these words with me in prayer.

As I prayed and thought, and was thoroughly distracted by the beauty around me and the obvious delight of animals, birds and humans to be out, it occurred to me that I really had a lot to do today but was enjoying myself immensely…and was not very penitent about it. There is a kernel there which speaks to forgiveness. I try not to lay too many “shoulds” on myself. I have plenty responsibilities so try not to sweat it when I go to bed with a sink full of dirty dishes and even leave for work without cleaning them up. It’s harder when I (often) don’t keep up with friends as I would like or check in on those who have asked for prayers. And it is harder still to forgive myself when my mouth runs away from me and I hurt someone.

It occurs to me that accepting forgiveness from God or others, and bestowing forgiveness, needs to start at “home”. In letting myself fail with forgiveness I can learn what it feels like not only to forgive but to be free of shame in the face of failure or shortcomings. Which of course is not an excuse to be lazy or not vigilant. It is healthy to forgive and not forget if that means learning and reordering a life or turning from sin.

Elsewhere Jesus reveals God’s limitless forgiveness which is paralleled with our own call to forgive: “…and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us…” If I can’t forgive myself, how do I know how to forgive another? How do I trust that God’s limitless forgiveness is for me? When I cannot forgive, I can be distracted into not accepting that which is good within me or someone else because of my focus on not forgiving. I limit myself. I limit God’s work within me. I limit my loving another when this happens.

Action

Giving and accepting forgiveness is tough but what a gift to give and receive. Is there someone you know, work with, avoid studiously, or live with that you are angry/hurt/disappointed with? Is there an abyss of nonforgiveness over which you cannot pass? Is there an unforgiven place within you? Take a walk with God and talk it over. God’s limitless forgiveness is the place from which to forgive. Or from which to receive forgiveness.

No comments: