Friday, April 27, 2012

The Bread That Came Down From Heaven

 April 27, 2012
Friday of the Third Week of Easter
By Melanie Rigney

(Saul) fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” He said, “Who are you, sir?” The reply came, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. Now get up and go into the city and you will be told what you must do.” (Acts 9:4-6)
 
Go out to all the world and tell the Good News. (Mark 16:15)

“Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.” (John 6:57-58)

PIETY

Lord, I give unceasing thanks for the nourishment You provide.

STUDY

Last Sunday morning, I was shopping at a local grocery store for two upcoming events—a Cursillo closing and a home Mass at my apartment. I’d gotten up early and hadn’t had breakfast, and those muffins looked sooo good. Never mind that at 400 calories, one muffin is close to the calorie count I have these days for an entire meal, and not nearly as nutritious. It’s probably also equivalent to about two-thirds of the time I spend on the elliptical machine during a typical workout. So I did the math, and passed the muffin display. It’s all about tradeoffs, and right now, I like shopping for clothes in the misses department instead of the women’s area.

It’s all about tradeoffs in our spiritual lives as well. We can listen to Jesus and have eternal life thanks to him. Or we can decide his way is too difficult, and isn’t worth the struggles and persecutions and sacrifices we’ll be called to endure.

There’s a difference with Jesus, though. We can put him off for a while and deny what he wants, in essence, opt for all the fat-laden muffins with which the world tempts us. But for many of us, there comes a time in our lives when Jesus makes a forceful attempt to get us back on the right path. And when that moment comes, the call is clear, very clear: listen to me. Do my work. Have life because of me. It’s a lot harder to resist than a Harris-Teeter muffin. Much better for you, too.

ACTION

Go into “the city” today, the place where Jesus desires you to work. Listen, then act.

No comments: