Friday, June 29, 2012

The Lord Stood By Me and Gave Me Strength


The Lord Stood By Me and Gave Me Strength


June 29, 2012

Solemnity of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Apostles
(Mass During the Day)

By Melanie Rigney

The angel of the Lord will rescue those who fear him. (Psalms 34:5)

The Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was rescued from the lion’s mouth.  (2 Timothy 4:17

(Jesus said to the disciples:) “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:15-16)

Piety
Lord, fire my heart and soul with the love for you that Peter and Paul and the other martyrs showed all the way to their earthly ends.

Study
A week later, I’m still thinking of the sermon I heard at a Christian writers’ conference. The theme was “Writers Under Construction,” apropos of the facts that the campus where we meet is undergoing major renovations and that as Christians, we all always are under construction by the Master Builder.

The sermon in question was delivered by my friend Don, a Baptist pastor who also works in mechanical maintenance for a grocery chain. He talked about growing up as a carpenter’s son, and his own maintenance jobs, including fixing up the parsonages where he and his family have lived. “No building is maintenance free,” he said; doesn’t matter how old or how new. And when there’s work to be done—renovation, remodeling, or rebuilding—God’s always there to help us.

As someone who tends to be overly hard on herself, I totally got the part about my building always needing repairs and God being there. But Don’s sermon made me think about the people who have done great things in Jesus’s name: Peter. Paul. Ignatius of Loyola. Teresa of Avila. Blessed Teresa. Dorothy Day. The more I thought about it, the more I realized my friend Don was right. Not a single one of them was maintenance free, anymore than anyone alive today is. What set them apart was the ability to call on the Lord’s strength to help with the continual construction of their hearts and souls.

Action
What part of your spiritual life is most in need of repair? Schedule an appointment with the Master Builder. He does great work, and you can’t beat His rates.

No comments: