Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Repay To God What Is God’s


Repay To God What Is God’s 

 June 5, 2012
Memorial of Saint Boniface, Bishop and Martyr
By Beth DeCristofaro

But according to his promise we await new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.  Therefore, beloved, since you await these things, be eager to be found without spot or blemish before him, at peace. And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation. (2 Peter  3:13-15)

So Jesus said to them, "Repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God."  They were utterly amazed at him.  (Mark 13:17)

Piety

Thank you, my God, for your patience with me as I each day I learn a little more how to give to Caesar what is his and to You what is Yours – everything my Lord and my God.  For all that I have and all that I am is yours.

Study

Hmm, without spot or blemish…at peace…  Being well schooled as a cradle Catholic, I am awfully ready to see each and every one of my spots and blemishes and many times feel a lot more guilt over what I have  failed to do and even done wrong to others than peace.  It’s easy to find the places that I’ve come up short, less easy to say “yes, Lord, I did my best , not perfect but it was in your  honor”.

These readings strike me with the message of Trinity Sunday.  The extraordinary reality that God became like me and you in birth and in death.  Jesus surmounted our human limits and stays with me and with you, individually and personally, indwelling Spirit.  We belong to God.  How do I possibly repay that? 

Action

If I can stretch the metaphor a bit, it seems that our relationships with each other can emulate the relationship of the Trinity in that I repay by loving my own brothers and sisters (yes, in pale imitation).  That eternal dance of love is available to me here on earth.  Ain’t easy for me.  In my dance, I like to lead.   Cataloging my failings just makes me try harder…which means holding onto the lead more strenuously.   

No comments: