Saturday, July 14, 2012

Send Me


Send Me

July 14, 2012
Memorial of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, virgin

He touched my mouth with it and said, "See, now that this has touched your lips, your wickedness is removed, your sin purged."  Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send?  Who will go for us?"  "Here I am," I said; "Send me!"  Isaiah 6:7-8

Nothing is concealed that will not be revealed, nor secret that will not be known.  What I say to you in the darkness, speak in the light; what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops.  Matthew 10:26b-27

Piety

Father, Here I am.  Send me. Amen.

Study

Religion is always personal but never private.  I heard that spoken recently by a minister and recalled his message as I read today's readings.
We are called personally in our commissioning work of love.  However, that work is not work we do in secret.  We must go out into the world.  Mass ends and we are recharged to exit through those doors to go out into the world and spread the good news in deed and in word.
Once the prophet Isaiah was cleansed, he could step forward and volunteer to be sent.  As Jesus was sending his disciples into the world, he reminded them to leave their fears behind as they spoke in the light and proclaimed from the rooftops.
I cannot envision myself standing on a street corner in the city passing out Bible cards.  However, other find that is the ministry to which they are called.  Someday I may be called upon to do that.  I cannot envision myself ministering inside a jail or prison. But that is my own personal comfort zone getting in the way.  Someday I may be called upon to do that.  If that happens, then today's readings will be my strength and my guide.

Action

To what will you step forward and say to the Lord, "Send me."  Maybe you will get the call that Arlington Cursillo needs one more person for the fall team.  Maybe as a potential sponsor, you will talk to your friends or co-workers about signing up for an upcoming weekend. Maybe your pastor needs a new Eucharistic Minister.  Maybe your parish choir needs some summer replacements.  Who knows, you might even find yourself honing that voice and joining all year long.
Make your prayer today, "Send me."  See where you are asked to walk with the Lord.    

No comments: