Monday, July 02, 2012

Together, God’s Dwelling Place


Together, God’s Dwelling Place

July 3, 2012
Feast of Saint Thomas, Apostle

By Beth DeCristofaro

Brothers and sisters: You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God,  … in (Christ) you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. (Ephesians 2:19, 22)

Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed." (John 20:29)

Piety

Oh Lord, Sometimes I feel so sad and fragile.  Be by my side today.   Even in my weakness, with you I am strong.

Study

Today I find myself musing that the doubts and faith of those who have gone before me give me consolation and reassurance.  Jesus’ response to Thomas must have helped Paul, Thomas and His followers solidify their belief that they, indeed, were chosen by Jesus to be building blocks in “a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.” 

Last week, as we laid my joyful and generous mother-in-law to rest after a difficult course of illness, my prayers centered on the surety that Ruth rests in peace with God, reunited with her beloved deceased husband and parents. 

Since I love archeology, an image comes to mind.  As I look back at my ancestors in faith, I dig down and find them - old, buried “stones” like the ruins of an ancient building on which I stand.   Some are big and sturdy – Sara, Mary, Elizabeth and some are tiny, perhaps dinged up like the woman who touched Jesus’ cloak and the SyroPhoenician who convinced Jesus to cure her daughter.  At the very foundation is Jesus.  I can’t “see” him easily.  If you have visited the ancient forum in Rome, you see how far below modern grade are the original street-level stones.  Jesus is deep within our faith, deep within my soul.  Thanks to doubters like Thomas and passionate believers like the Woman at the Well, I know that Jesus lives and invites me into the Spirit.

Action

What am I doing, within myself and my community, to insure a continuing strong footing and place to dwell for those who come after me?  How can I help those who struggle with pain, doubt, fear, anger to know that Jesus is her/his foundation too and that Jesus dwells with her/him during the doubt, fear, anger and pain?  We are those who are seen today.  We can bring His presence before the eyes of those who need to see.

No comments: