Tuesday, August 21, 2012

For My Sake


For My Sake

August 21, 2012
Memorial of Saint Pius X, Pope

By Beth DeCristofaro

The word of the LORD came to me: Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre: Thus says the Lord GOD:  Because you are haughty of heart, you say, "A god am I I occupy a godly throne in the heart of the sea!"-- And yet you are a man, and not a god,  (Ezekiel 28:1-2)

Jesus said to his disciples:  "Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of heaven…. And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life.  (Mark 19:23, 29)

Piety

Draw me ever closer to you, my Lord and my God.  As I accept your presence within my body, my soul and my mind in Holy Communion, allow me to set my eyes on you and my feet on your path each and every breathing hour of my day and night.  May I be your living monstrance taking you to the world.

Study

When I was in college, I studied in France my junior year.  At the time I was conscious that not only was it a huge challenge for me, it was also a way for me to “cut the apron strings”.  It was clearly a giving up of houses, brothers and sisters but not for God.  This was a chance for me to figure out who I was and where I was headed.  Interestingly enough, one of the comfort zones for me was the church.  Even though it took me several months to understand the liturgy, I felt at home and safe in the olde, dusty ancient Cathedrale de Ste Sauveur. 

Then I figured I still needed more figuring out and took the year after college in Guam, teaching in the Catholic parish school of Sta. Barbara.  Again, this parish run primarily by a welcoming group of Guamanian nuns was home base.  I met people there who cared about each other and I watched people searching for and serving God in ways new to me but grounded in a familiar tradition.  Hospitality was a vital part of this diverse community.

While I did not give up anything for Jesus, I definitely found God waiting for me and accompanying me during these years.  I found myself drawn closer.  Jesus’ words to the disciples call for a more intentional and conscious turning toward.  Thankfully, I have that opportunity each and every day.

Action

St. Pius X was instrumental in promoting  the teaching that Catholics can receive Eucharist as often as every day.  He called Holy Communion the shortest and safest way to Heaven.   At the time, some were concerned saying that this might cause people to take Communion for granted or treat it too lightly.  What do I believe about Eucharist?  Do I willingly take time for Eucharist beyond once a week?  Am I taking it for granted or is it a breathtaking opportunity for me to turn once more to God?

No comments: