Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Christ Light



Christ Light

September 18, 2012
Tuesday of the Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one Body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink of one Spirit.   (1 Corinthians 12:13)

As he drew near to the gate of the city, a man who had died was being carried out,
the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. A large crowd from the city was with her. When the Lord saw her, he was moved with pity for her … he said, "Young man, I tell you, arise!" The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother.
 (Luke 7:12-14)

Piety

            (Sing with  Right Index Finger Making Horizontal Circles in Air)


This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Hide it under a bushel? No!
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.
I’m gonna let it shine
Shine all over
[name of town]
I'm gonna let it shine
Shine all over
[name of town]
I'm gonna let it shine
Shine all over
[name of town]

Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine til Jesus comes,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

Study

In Varanasi, India, devotees send tiny candles and garlands of flowers down the Ganges, offerings to the divinity as they pray for their loved ones.  The images of hundreds, thousands of tiny flames drifting on a great current came to me as I read about “many parts, one body” and as I visualized the procession of mourners leaving the gates of Nain. 

Our loving, Creator God and Father spreads His precious children on the eternal currents of His love.  Our flickering souls are buoyed up, guided, immersed in God’s grace and mercy.  Those who receive the light of Christ shine even brighter with the flame of the Spirit.   I imagine devoted Christians, Cursillistas, stoking the Christ light as we pray, study and act within the current of God’s great love. 

As Jesus stopped to return life to one obscure man out of his great love and pity, we are asked to shine our lights for the benefits of those who do not believe, those we disagree with, those who doubt or who are lost and suffering.  Through Cursillo we are also fortunate to witness to that light of Christ in song, laughter, tears and prayer with our brothers and sisters in a special way.  God’s great waters of creation are for all.

Action

Welcome! To our new Cursillista Sisters and thanks to the Team, whose lights are perhaps burning just a bit brighter after their weekend in San Damiano.  Take a minute, lift those fingers high and sing this cheerfully unwavering children’s song as you pray for our new babe-chicks and remember the Men who will be making a weekend October 11-14.

Take a minute also to pray out of the depths of Christ’s light within you for peace among the religions of the world and that God will soften the hearts of those who corrupt God’s teachings for their own violent ends.

No comments: