Thursday, February 28, 2013

Beyond Remedy?



Beyond Remedy?

February 28, 2013
Thursday of the Second Week of Lent
More tortuous than all else is the human heart, beyond remedy; who can understand it?  I, the LORD, alone probe the mind and test the heart, To reward everyone according to his ways, according to the merit of his deeds.  Jeremiah 17:9-10
And he cried out, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me.  Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.’  Abraham replied, ‘My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented.  Luke 16:24-25

Piety

Father, give to us the grace to fully rely on you.  Make us like the tree planted beside the waters so that we might stretch out our roots to the stream of living water that is your Son.  Holy Spirit, shower upon us your gifts so that we may stay refreshed no matter what the weather, no matter what stress or distress we endure for you for one purpose -- to bear and share your fruit to the world.  

Study

Are we beyond remedy?
Today's readings present us with two extremes.  Jeremiah stakes out two positions:  those who trust in the Lord and those who trust in human beings.  Luke personalizes these two examples in the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus. 
Chances are, if you are human, you like I gravitate to one camp or the other.  More often than not, we are someplace in between.  The "in between" space could be a problem because Luke describes it as a "great chasm." 
If I am in the great chasm, when am I beyond remedy?  From the parable, I infer that I am only beyond remedy when I (like the rich man) am beyond mortal life.  Until then, you and I hold in our hearts and in our control the infinite possibility to love and to change. 

Action

The Lord alone can probe our minds and our hearts.   
What messages is the Lord sending for us to change this Lenten season?   
 As our Church undergoes its historic change today and over the coming weeks, we too are asked to change.  What will you "resign" from?  To what new path will you commit to following? 

No comments: