Saturday, April 27, 2013

Delighted When They Heard



Delighted When They Heard

April 27, 2013
Saturday of the Fourth Week of Easter
The Gentiles were delighted when they heard this and glorified the word of the Lord.  All who were destined for eternal life came to believe, and the word of the Lord continued to spread through the whole region.  Acts 13:48-49
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves.  Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father.  And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.”  John 14:11-14

Piety

Father, help us to know how close you are to us – through our attempts to remain committed to living in piety, study and action.  Help us to know you – through your Son Jesus and our neighbors.  Take the planks out of our eyes so that we can see you clearly and do the works you ask of us.  Amen.

Study

Jesus once again connect faith and action.  Our faith and works.  His faith in us and his active fulfillment of our prayers.  “Believe me.”  “Do the works.”  “Ask anything of me.” “I will do it.”
Sometimes, this faith is not easy.  The apostles who have been with Jesus throughout his public ministry still (at the Last Supper discourses) are asking Jesus to show them the Father.  Several have witnessed the Father and others have been introduced to Him through Jesus.  Yet, they still do not fully grasp the message without the Passion and Resurrection which is coming shortly after this encounter.

Action

We have been through CCD.  We have received many of the sacraments.  We attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days.  We go on retreats.  Yet, we still do not fully grasp the message and carry it out. Too often, we try to equate our faith with our worldly standards – see how the media covers the selection of a new Pope as if it were a political election.  See how we use common lobbying tactics to try to persuade governments to adopt religious viewpoints and turn away from acts and laws that are in conflict with our faith. 
Jesus did neither.  He let his actions speak volumes.  I am struck by how imperfectly we use e-mail and social media for evangelization.  One practice is particularly bothersome to me.  There is a prevalence of messages that people send out which basically say repost this or you don’t love Jesus.  I just have to wonder if Jesus really cares about what is on Facebook or if he would rather we get off our computers and go out into the world and do the works?  So I am going to sign off, not post the message and head to do some volunteering this weekend.  And no…I am not going to send that message to 25 friends or post it on Facebook or re-tweet it on Twitter. De colores!

No comments: