Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Open to the Holy Spirit


Open to the Holy Spirit


April 16, 2013
Tuesday of the Third Week of Easter

By Beth DeCristofaro

Stephen said to the people, the elders, and the scribes: “You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always oppose the Holy Spirit; you are just like your ancestors. (Acts 7:51)

So Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave the bread from heaven; my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. … Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.”  (John 6:32-35)

Piety

Marantha.  Come Lord Jesus, this day be resurrected again in my heart so that your light might shine through my words and deeds.  May people see and praise the glory of God through your reflected light.

Study

On a balmy April day, 30+ years ago, I sat at the edge of Boston College campus, the top of “heartbreak hill” and cheered on the runners in the Boston Marathon.  As I write this, I am saddened at the horror news of a bombing.  Meanwhile our congressional leaders are fighting over who is worthy to have a share in the resources of our country – a worth often defined by what one does.  Public debates rage gun owner rights vs. human safety.  My mom is saddened by the story of an elderly friend whose adult children, living out of state, do not talk to her anymore.

You stiff-necked people.  It’s all too easy for me, for most of us, to fall into the trap of being right all the time.  But the bomber feels he is right.  We Americans each think our slice of perspective is right.  (And I don’t believe that the US corners the market on attitude.  Just see Syria and N. Korea as extreme examples).  Someone hurt by a loved one is justified to hold a grudge or stay distanced out of self-protection.  But are any of these stances life-giving?  Do any of them give glory to God or reveal the Word made Flesh whose death and resurrection freed us to know and accept the lavish love of the Creator?

Action

In what way am I stiff necked?  How am I co-opting the merciful love of Jesus from reaching others?  St. Faustina heard in her vision of Christ that God’s mercy is a gift for all,  “Thus the message of divine mercy is also implicitly a message about the value of every human being. Each person is precious in God´s eyes; Christ gave his life for each one; to everyone the Father gives his Spirit and offers intimacy.”[i] 

Pay attention to and review attitudes and interactions with people in the illuminating light of mercy and love.   I might not be able to stop a bombing but I can perhaps touch, heal, soothe, and lovingly accept someone who is in deep need of God’s presence.

No comments: