Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Delay Not Your Conversion to the Lord



Delay Not Your Conversion to the Lord

May 23, 2013
Thursday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time
Of forgiveness be not overconfident, adding sin upon sin.  Say not: “Great is his mercy; my many sins he will forgive.”  For mercy and anger alike are with him; upon the wicked alights his wrath.  Delay not your conversion to the LORD, put it not off from day to day.  For suddenly his wrath flames forth; at the time of vengeance you will be destroyed.”  Sirach 6B-7
“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.  If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off.  It is better for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire.”  Mark 9:42-43

Piety

I will sprinkle clean water over you to make you clean; from all your impurities and from all your idols I will cleanse you.  I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you.  I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.  I will put my spirit within you so that you walk in my statutes, observe my ordinances, and keep them.  You will live in the land I gave to your ancestors; you will be my people, and I will be your God.  (Ezekiel 36:25-28)

Study

We have financial advisors. We have work-life coaches.  We have lawyers and accountants.  We have advisors of all kinds.  Yet, we must not heed their advice for life over what we read in the Good News or what is revealed to us by the Holy Spirit.
At every step and breath, there is a person or organization trying to separate us from our money.  But beyond that, they are trying to separate us from our mission.   The real challenge in life as we learn from Sirach and St. Mark, is not to be swayed by their enticements.  And also not to entice others into this same path. “For mercy and anger alike are with him; upon the wicked alights his wrath.  Delay not your conversion to the LORD, put it not off from day to day.”
The Lord is looking to take us away from the world.  When we are removed from the world, we enter a state of purity – conversion – to the mission the Lord has for us.   Then we have the gifts we need to turn our back on the temptations of the world.

Action

The other day in the elevator leaving work, another person who works in the same office tower asked me if I knew a certain person and worked for a certain business.  I did not.  Then she offered that a friend and colleague who worked at that company had just passed away suddenly and she was trying to find out how to pay her respects.
Maybe we should concentrate on paying our respects every day so these worries don’t cloud our days when the person we know moves, changes jobs or passes away.
Who do you know that you should pay “respects” to today while they are still with you?  What advice do you have for others based upon your piety, study and action that will keep others from getting too absorbed by the magnetism of the power and lute of the world?

No comments: