Monday, May 20, 2013

The Lord Saves in Times of Trouble



The Lord Saves in Times of Trouble 

Tuesday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time 
May 21, 2013


By Beth DeCristofaro


Compassionate and merciful is the LORD; he forgives sins, he saves in time of trouble and he is a protector to all who seek him in truth. (Sirach 2:11)


Taking a child, he placed it in their midst, and putting his arms around it, he said to them, “Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but the One who sent me.” (Mark 9:36-37)

Piety


God of Righteousness, Justice and Mercy, hold the hands of those suffering today.  Buoy up those who are weak from weariness and loss.  Embrace with the peace of your presence those who fear and are lost.  Guide those who feel abandoned into your realm of joy. 

Study


Watching the scenes from Oklahoma City this evening one is struck with many examples of those who are serving others.  Neighbors, teachers, fire fighters, journalists, passers by all become the hands, eyes, feet of Jesus when danger has struck.  Sitting 1,100 miles away my belief in a God who walked and hurt like all those people, who died for them but defeated death allows me to feel that simple prayers wing directly to all those who are hurting. 


What strikes me is that God doesn’t ask who is most important.  God sees each one of us as Most Beloved.  And I know where God is tonight – protecting all who are troubled and saving each and every child, woman and man in the way God knows is most needed.

Action


After helping out these victims in whatever way you choose, take a moment and look at your activities and donations.  Whom do you help?  Are they the most vulnerable, the “anawim” in whom Jesus resides?

No comments: