Saturday, May 18, 2013

Wear These Chains



Wear These Chains

May 18, 2013
Saturday of the Seventh Week of Easter
After trying my case the Romans wanted to release me, because they found nothing against me deserving the death penalty.  But when the Jews objected, I was obliged to appeal to Caesar, even though I had no accusation to make against my own nation.  This is the reason, then, I have requested to see you and to speak with you, for it is on account of the hope of Israel that I wear these chains.”  Acts 28:18-20
Peter turned and saw the disciple following whom Jesus loved, the one who had also reclined upon his chest during the supper and had said, “Master, who is the one who will betray you?”  When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about him?”  Jesus said to him, “What if I want him to remain until I come?  What concern is it of yours?  You follow me.”  John 21:20-22

Piety

Father, take from me my envy of others and my personal ego.  Jesus, give to me in abundance the virtues of fortitude, temperance, justice and prudence needed to accept your invitation to mission.  Holly Spirit, set me free from my goals with your gifts that speed me on my way to follow Jesus with faith, hope and love.  Amen.

Study

The disciples are great role models for us because right up until the bitter end, they continued to exhibit flawlessly human behavior and reaction.  Today, we still see petty jealousy come through as they attempt to measure themselves against each other.  "What about him?"  
Paul sizes up his destiny against John.  James wanted to sit at the side of the Lord in heaven.  They had doubt.  They had fear.  They had confusion.  They stayed in their comfort zone.  They turned their back on Jesus.  They betrayed the man they had known and followed for three years.
It is evident that the lessons Jesus taught needed to be driven home somehow with emphasis.  Tune in tomorrow.  Let’s see what descends upon the locked room.

Action

What is the answer to our doubts and fears?  What is the solution to our confusion and comfort?  Following Jesus is the prescription for Peter and for us.
How will you do the following today?  How comfortable are you in surrendering control?

No comments: