Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Follow in Faithfulness




Tuesday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

Thus it came to pass: when God destroyed the Cities of the Plain, he was mindful of Abraham by sending Lot away from the upheaval by which God overthrew the cities where Lot had been living. (Genesis 19:29)

They came and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” He said to them, “Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?” Then he got up, rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was great calm.  (Matthew 8:25-26)

Piety

Some days it seems like I am being tossed on a boat in the darkness, Jesus. Part of me wants to be saved but another part wants to run from you. I'm not always proud of how I lead my life and sometimes I am afraid to be alone with you. Guide me through this darkness, please.

Study

The authors of these Books not only transcribed the Word but they were keen observers of human nature.  In Lot’s sons-in-law I recognize my skepticism of the seriousness of choices.  Surely buying from discount shops does not mean that I condone mistreatment of garment workers in Bangladesh or on Saipan.  Lot’s wife’s looking back reminds me of how I can fool myself into thinking that I am in charge rather than accept that life actually does happen.  I can choose to let God lead or delude myself that looking away is taking control.   In Lot I recognize my certainty that I can bargain with God or others and, eventually, get my way.  The disciples hold God responsible for answering their plight just as I often do.  We fail to recognize the calm sureness of God’s presence in the person of Jesus serenely asleep, unperturbed in the face of chaos. 

Action

The waves of my life will often threaten to swamp my boat.  What if the very worst happens?   God is there in my coming and in my going.  God is there for the skeptics, the control freaks, the doubters even those who flee if we but open to that dynamic, unreserved and undeserved love God pours out. 

There are indeed days, however, when I feel that I am channeling the disciples’ fear rather than living the peace of “If God is for us who can be against.”   In what way do you get in God’s way?  Ask for guidance through the darkness which itself might be the awesome power of God breaking through.

No comments: