Friday, July 19, 2013

Something Greater than the Temple

Something Greater than the Temple

July 19, 2013

Friday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time

By Melanie Rigney
“… I will go through Egypt, striking down the first born of the land, both man and beast, and executing judgment on all the gods of Egypt—I, the Lord! But the blood will mark the houses where you are. Seeing the blood, I will pass over you; thus, when I strike the land of Egypt, no destructive blow will come upon you. This day shall be a memorial feast for you, which all your generations shall celebrate with pilgrimage to the Lord as a perpetual institution.” (Exodus 12:12-14)
I am your servant, the son of your handmaid; you have loosed my bonds. (Psalms 116:16)
“I say to you, something greater than the temple is here. If you knew what this meant, I desire mercy, not sacrifice, you would not have condemned these innocent men. For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath.” (Matthew 12:6-8)

Piety
Lord, help me to keep my eyes on you despite the temptations of this world.

 Study
It’s been an interesting time for a number of my friends and me. New jobs. New babies. New relationships. New adventures in ministry. But no matter how exciting or positive the change is, it still is change: uncertain and stressful. What about the people I’m leaving behind? Have I prepared them to go on without me? What will happen to our friendships? And what about the new situation—what if the people don’t like or understand me as well? What if I’m not a good parent or grandparent? What if those the new ministry is supposed to touch say, “Thanks but no thanks,” politely or impolitely?

I’ve had this conversation with people and with myself more times than I can count in the past few months. And Matthew 12:6 is where I always end up in prayer or counsel:

I say to you, something greater than the temple is here.

It’s tempting and so human to focus on ourselves when our lives are in upheaval, positively or negatively. That’s why we ask all those “I” and “me” questions. But truly, it’s not all about us and the little temples we have built, temples of competence and comfort and predictability. It’s about God and where he sends us.

Better, then to pray that he equip us to understand and to do his will than to concern ourselves with whether or not people will give us atta-girls and atta-boys or buy us “World’s Best Grandparent” T-shirts or provide awards and accolades for our efforts. God’s definition of success may be different from ours or the world’s. But his is the only one that matters.

Action

What change or challenge is weighing on your mind and soul? Talk with your group reunion about how you might turn over your worries to God, just for a day.

No comments: