Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Help Me to Love Like You

Help Me to Love Like You 

Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord

By Beth DeCristofaro

Jesus took Peter, John, and James and went up a mountain to pray.  While he was praying his face changed in appearance and his clothing became dazzling white.  And behold, two men were conversing with him, Moses and Elijah,  who appeared in glory  … Peter and his companions had been overcome by sleep,  but becoming fully awake,  they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. As they were about to part from him, Peter said to Jesus,  “Master, it is good that we are here; let us make three tents, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” But he did not know what he was saying. (Luke 9:28B-31, 32-33)

Piety

Open my eyes, Lord
Help me to see Your face
Open my eyes, Lord
Help me to see


Open my ears, Lord
Help me to hear Your voice
Open my ears, Lord
Help me to hear

Open my heart, Lord
Help me to love like You
Open my heart, Lord
Help me to love

I live within you
Deep in your heart, oh, love
I live within you
Rest now in me

            (John Michael Talbot)

Study

Cursillo calls on me to look frankly at each busy, stress-filled or even boring day to see where my closest moment to Christ has been.  This is such a joy to see that in what is mundane or difficult is in fact Christ’s presence.  Like the young, talkative cashier who, as I patiently wait through his gush of words gets to the point:  “I was a first responder at the Pentagon on September 11” and as another anniversary approaches he needs to talk.  Or my refusal to exchange angry words with a colleague even though I am so sure I am right!  We end up in a semi productive exchange and there are windows open for closer relationship.  Or in talking with my acquaintance who never asks about me but, if I am honest rather than intolerant, I must acknowledge her "unlooked-for" moments of generosity and even insight.

As I reflect on my days I am more able to see where I “have been overcome with sleep” and missed the glory of Jesus’ presence in the face, the words, the actions of others around me.  “I did not know what I was saying or doing.”  Becoming more aware I can become more loving of myself and others as Jesus was with Peter, James and John.

Action


The next time I become edgy, annoyed or impatient will I take the time to slow and look for Jesus in the moment?  The next time I am angry or afraid will I ask Jesus for help to turn powerful emotions into potent and active love?  

No comments: