Tuesday, August 20, 2013

In God All is Possible


By Beth DeCristofaro

The LORD turned to him and said, “Go with the strength you have and save Israel from the power of Midian.  It is I who send you.”  But Gideon answered him, “Please, my lord, how can I save Israel? My family is the lowliest in Manasseh, and I am the most insignificant in my father’s house.” “I shall be with you,” the LORD said to him… (Judges 6:14-16)

Jesus looked at them and said, “For men this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.”  (Matthew 19:26)

Piety

I arise today

Blessed by all things,
Wings of breath,
Delight of eyes,
Wonder of whisper,
Intimacy of touch,
Eternity of soul,
Urgency of thought,
Miracle of health,
Embrace of God.

May I live this day

Compassionate of heart,
Clear in word,
Gracious in awareness,
Courageous in thought,
Generous in love.
        (from “Matins”, John O’Donohue)

Study

St. Therese of Avila is credited with speaking her mind to God:  “If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have so few of them.”   Her prayer comes to mind in Gideon’s word to God’s decree..  “Me? Lord? Save Israel?”  Or others like Moses:  “Me Lord?  I stutter, Lord…”  who heard God’s seemingly outrageous commands.

But for God, all things are possible.  Poet John O’Donohue reminds me that instead of feeling afraid, harried or overwhelmed, rather I can see each (of many) God-given blessings as gift.  And when I choose to say “yes” to God I also say “yes” to allowing God to love me.   “I shall be with you” God says.  The possibilities are infinite.

Action


In what ways do I struggle with controlling the possibilities in my life?  And in what way do I overlook God’s potentiality because I have made up my mind about certain people or am distracted by acquired things?  In what specific way can I say “yes” to God today, opening myself to compassionate, clear, gracious, courageous, generous loving action?

No comments: