Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Blessed Servants


By Beth DeCristofaro

…be like servants who await their master’s return from a wedding, ready to open immediately when he comes and knocks.  Blessed are those servants whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival. (Luke 12:36-37)

Piety

Here I am Lord
Is it I Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night
I will go Lord
If you lead me
I will hold your people in my heart.

I will hold your people in my heart...
(Here I am Lord)

Study

Mahatma Ghandi said, “Live as if you were to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you were to live forever.”  Jesus might have smiled when Ghandi said this as I suspect this is part of what Jesus is saying to us and his disciples.  If, in fact, we are vigilant servants then we will experience the promise of eternal life.  It’s not earning the promise but learning, living into the promise.

Reflecting on just how vigilant I am gives me pause.  As I drive the many miles a day my job requires, I do take opportunities to say brief prayers of gratitude for the day or the light traffic or the inspiring people I meet.  But I also at times my lips blurt out less than sacred phrases at awful traffic or other drivers.  It can be difficult to recognize the myriad moments I am afforded to be kind and loving throughout the day depending on my state of distraction – internal or external.  When I react with spinelessness in the face of injustice I must admit that I placed myself at the center of my being rather than God which prompts my response.  In some of these moments I miss the knocking of the Master on my door. 

Action

For me, seeking time with the Lord and inviting the Lord into my attention – not just on Sunday - is so necessary for my vigilance.  What works for you?  A spiritual director might keep you accountable as might your group reunion.  Retreats are soul nourishing as is time in Adoration.  One Lent I prayed the Stations of the Cross as I walked around Burke Lake…preparation for Advent might also warrant a prayer-walk.  Try something different like a labyrinth or Taize.


Be vigilant, the Bridegroom loves you so.

No comments: