Tuesday, October 29, 2013

We Wait With Endurance


By Beth DeCristofaro

For in hope we were saved.  Now hope that sees for itself is not hope.   For who hopes for what one sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance. (Romans 8:24-25)

Jesus said, “What is the Kingdom of God like? To what can I compare it? It is like a mustard seed that a man took and planted in the garden.  When it was fully grown, it became a large bush and the birds of the sky dwelt in its branches.” (Luke 13:18-19)

Piety
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine
(“I Can Only Imagine” by MercyMe)

Study
There are two beautiful, enormous blue spruce trees in my front yard which are “apartments” for countless birds and through ways for squirrels, chipmunks and other furry creatures.  Not only does the image of the tiny mustard seed sprouting into a large bush speak of the fruitfulness of God’s presence in the world, but my spruce trees show me a glimpse of the bountiful life possible within God’s creation.  Paul speaks of endurance and I hear it, in light of Jesus’ metaphor, as endurance imbued with potential.  God is with us in the endurance, the Spirit animates the manner we endure.

We all know, as does Paul that our endurance does not always result in what we want.  But the fecundity in God is so much greater than our vision.  My two trees are finally succumbing to years of drought.  It is sad to know that it might be years before the birds can return depending on what we plant where the trees have grown.  But the Kingdom of God continues to blossom and grow and I can endure while planting new trees or looking in new spots for the birds.

Action

In Paul’s endurance, we wait and build the Kingdom.  We wait and grow in God.  We wait and look forward to being reunited with our departed loved ones who succumbed to their mortality.  Say an extra prayer for all who face illness, death, and tragedy with endurance.  During this week of All Saints and All Souls, take some time in the everyday moments to remember those who you have loved and those who have touched your life and say a prayer of gratitude for them.

No comments: