Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pondering and Reflecting



By Colleen O’Sullivan
The Lord bless you and keep you!
The Lord let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you!
The Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace!  (Numbers 6:24-26)

The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger.  When they saw this, they made known the message that had been told them about this child.  All who heard it were amazed by what had been told them by the shepherds.  And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.  Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen just as it had been told to them.  (Luke 2:16-20)

Piety
O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray; cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us today.  We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell; O come to us, abide with us, our Lord Emmanuel! 
(from O Little Town of Bethlehem, words by Phillips Brooks, 1835-1893)

Study
Lord, this is the first time I’ve been alone in days.  The shepherds have departed and Joseph has gone to buy food.  My heart is full and I don’t know what any of this means.  As a young girl, whenever I thought of having children, I always pictured being at home, in my own bed, my mother at my side to comfort and help me.  Nothing about the last few months has been what I imagined.  My parents were shamed by my pregnancy.  I don’t know if they believed any of what I told them.  I think they were just relieved when Joseph took me into his home. 

I will never forget the things your messenger Gabriel said to me; your angel’s words are safe in my heart, but what do they mean?  I’ve unwrapped my child and looked him over many times in the past few days.  I’ve counted his fingers and toes, stroked his soft, downy hair.  He looks like any other baby I’ve ever seen.  He cries to be fed or to be changed.  The warmth of my body when I snuggle him settles him.  Yet your messenger said this baby will be great, that he will be called the Most High.  The angel said he will be holy and even said that he is the Son of God!  The shepherds who came this evening said angels had appeared to them, too, saying my baby is the Messiah, the long-expected One.  They came to see my newborn Jesus and referred to him as their Savior as they knelt here in the hay.  I know no one at home would believe that if I told them!

Even though I am feeling overwhelmed and confused, I put my trust in you, O Lord.  I don’t know why you asked me to be the mother of this special child, but I agreed to what you asked and I am a person of my word.  Joseph and I will be the best parents we can.  We will teach him to know you and love you, to be faithful to your Law.  I promise to reflect on these mysteries every day in my heart.  If it be your will, O Lord, I ask that one day you reveal to me their meaning.

Action
Christ chooses to be born in each of us, to enter into our lives at the deepest level.  Spend some time, as Mary must have, pondering the wonder of God’s love, the wonder of being chosen as an object of his great affection.  A lifetime of reflection may bring us closer to understanding the mystery of Divine Love as well as the stark realization of the frequent poverty of our response.

No comments: