Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Look Upon Me Kindly, Lord


By Beth DeCristofaro

(Hannah prayed,)  “O LORD of hosts, if you look with pity on the misery of your handmaid, if you remember me and do not forget me, if you give your handmaid a male child, I will give him to the LORD for as long as he lives; neither wine nor liquor shall he drink, and no razor shall ever touch his head.” (1 Samuel 1:11)

Jesus came to Capernaum with his followers, and on the Sabbath he entered the synagogue and taught.  The people were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes. (Mark 1:21)

Piety
Look upon me kindly, Lord.  Help me Lord to pray with my thoughts, words and actions so that your Glory might be visible to anyone who interacts with me today. 

Study
There is a radio ad I’ve heard frequently in which a representative from Dale Carnegie’s enterprise explains why her world-wide company relies on a particular web design company.  She explains that Dale Carnegie, which focuses on public speaking, branding, personal persuasiveness gets out its word with the efficient and effective product designed exclusively for Dale Carnegie. 

When I was a fledgling volunteer coordinator I took workshops on making speeches.  We want to get across our message, sell our merchandise, promote our ideas and opinions and there are proven methods which work pretty remarkably.  In these days of data mining, tips can be narrowly tailored to fit just the right “demographic audience.”

Jesus had none of these tips at his disposal.  Jesus had no consultant coach him and no analyst to target his words.  Jesus spoke with and was filled with authority directly from God.  He was astonishing. His message, his presence was over and above the expertise of religious authorities.  He did not need to tailor his message as his life was his message.  His words were both challenge and invitation.  He challenges and invites us today, every day.

Action
Hannah knew that no human knowledge or action would give her the child which would assure her place in society.  Her story is one of great faith, great challenge, great invitation.  How do I share my experience of Jesus?  Do I open myself up to His presence accepting both challenge and invitation?  Does his authority shine through in the study, piety and action of my life? 

No comments: