Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Celebrate Birth Days

Tuesday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

Blessed is he who perseveres in temptation, for when he has been proven he will receive the crown of life that he promised to those who love him.Rather, each person is tempted when lured and enticed by his desire.  Then desire conceives and brings forth sin, and when sin reaches maturity it gives birth to death.  (James 1:12, 14-15)

Jesus enjoined them, “Watch out, guard against the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod.”  They concluded among themselves that it was because they had no bread. When he became aware of this he said to them, “Why do you conclude that it is because you have no bread? Do you not yet understand or comprehend? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes and not see, ears and not hear?   (Mark 8:15-18)

Piety
Instruct your servant, O God, in perseverance against temptation.  Open my ears and eyes, soften my heart so that I recognize and resist my own desires.  Each day with your grace might I strive to love you and live to make others love you.

Study
During a Centering Prayer retreat a participant asked, “I find myself thinking of so many other things when I try to sit in silence with God”.  Our retreat leader responded that all those moments of awareness are moments that we can turn consciously back to God.  His perspective was very encouraging to me in my constant struggle with distractions.  I find the same perspective helpful when I consider those moments when I do not persevere against temptation and I clearly “have eyes and not see, ears and not hear.  With God’s grace I can become aware and turn back to God.  Turn again and again to be born again to Christ as my primary focus and path.

Can we see these opportunities as birthdays?  We can stop playing the external game of “my desires” and prioritize God’s desires instead our own.  February 18, 1903, St. Gertrude Comensoli died and thus celebrated her heavenly birthday in eternity.  All during her life she chose Jesus above all others first as a child when she committed herself to the Eucharist and then later as a religious, educator and founder of the Institute of the Sisters Adorers of the Blessed Sacrament.  Her life was not easy nor is it any easier for you or me to persevere in temptation without God. 

Action
Jesus tells the disciples not to accept the false leaven of the Pharisees.  St. Gertrude’s creed of living, “Jesus, loving You and making others love You,”  illustrates a way to live Jesus’ words.   Read more about St. Gertrude in Sisterhood of Saints.  Perhaps we can also pay attention today to the opportunities to turn back to Jesus when we have not persevered.  See each opportunity as a new birth in our life with Jesus.  Also, if you have the chance tell someone Happy Birthday!  Today, for example, the founder and editor of Our Daily Tripod celebrates his earthly birthday.  Happy Birthday and Many Blessings, Tony.

No comments: