Thursday, March 27, 2014

One Stronger


Listen to my voice; then I will be your God and you shall be my people.  Walk in all the ways that I command you, so that you may prosper.  But they obeyed not, nor did they pay heed.  They walked in the hardness of their evil hearts and turned their backs, not their faces, to me.  Jeremiah 7:23b-24

“When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his possessions are safe.  But when one stronger than he attacks and overcomes him, he takes away the armor on which he relied and distributes the spoils.  Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.”  Luke 11:21-23

Piety
If today you hear His voice, harden not your hearts. (Psalm 95)

Study
One stronger.  Power is often attributed to Jesus.  We heard it spoken by John the Baptist in Luke 3:16 when the Lord was called “more powerful than I.”  The dilemma of strength pervades the imagery of the Magnificat, the Beatitudes and picture of abject powerlessness that is evoked in the scene of the Nativity. 

So if Satan is the strong man, the only ones who can bind him up and divide Satan’s house are the Lord (and his disciples). However, the reality of disobedience and selfishness is laid out in the first reading from Jeremiah which only serves to underscore the conclusions today:  “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.” 

Action
The way to get stronger is through exercise.  Lent is our gym to practice prayer, fasting and almsgiving.  

No comments: