Monday, April 28, 2014

The Spirit Blows Where it Will


By Beth DeCristofaro

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. (Acts 4:32)

Jesus said to Nicodemus: “‘You must be born from above.’ The wind blows where it wills, and you can hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes; so it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.” (John 3:7-8)

Piety
Holy Spirit, come into my heart; draw it to Thee by Thy power, O my God, and grant me charity with filial fear. Preserve me, O ineffable Love, from every evil thought; warm me, inflame me with Thy dear love, and every pain will seem light to me. My Father, my sweet Lord, help me in all my actions. Jesus, love, Jesus, love. Amen. (St Catherine of Siena)

Study
Sunday, we watched two new Saints be officially raised up by the Church.  On “Meet the Press” debates waged over what this means to the United States (Catholic plus) population.  One of the comments struck me.  A panelist pointed out that the rituals in Rome were for two very different men, one considered liberal and the other conservative by today’s American Church but that the Catholic Church was proving that it is a very big tent, welcoming in those of many perspectives.  He lamented the fact that our political parties should have such a “big tent” mentality and work together for a more common good than “my side is right.”

St. Catherine of Siena’s prayer might be an avenue that could help us Catholics in the trenches and in the voting booths.  “Holy Spirit, inflame my heart,” she prayed.  She prayed for the Spirit’s life within her to move her life, which the wind of the Spirit would blow her where it would.  

Action
Can we ask this humbly? “Blow us, Holy Spirit, where you will.  Help us respect and enable your community, Jesus Christ, to serve your Church as you would have us serve.”  We could be of one heart and mind rather than “conservatives” or “liberals”, “traditionalist” or “progressive,” “relativistic” or “fundamental.”  The Spirit will blow where it will.  Where will I be? 

No comments: