Tuesday, August 05, 2014

You Will Be My People

Tuesday of the Eighteenth Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

I struck you as an enemy would strike, punished you cruelly; Why cry out over your wound?  Your pain is without relief.  Because of your great guilt, your numerous sins, I have done this to you. … Thus says the LORD: See! I will restore the tents of Jacob, his dwellings I will pity; City shall be rebuilt upon hill, and palace restored as it was. … You shall be my people, and I will be your God. (Jeremiah 30:14-15, 18, 22)

Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.  But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened; and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!”  Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”  After they got into the boat, the wind died down. Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying, “Truly, you are the Son of God.” (Matthew 14:29-33)

Piety
God, our Father, I offer You my day. I offer You my prayers, thoughts, words, actions, joys, and sufferings in union with the Heart of Jesus, who continues to offer Himself in the Eucharist for the salvation of the world. May the Holy Spirit, Who guided Jesus, be my guide and my strength today so that I may witness to your love.  With Mary, the mother of our Lord and the Church, I pray for all Apostles of Prayer and for the prayer intentions proposed by the Holy Father this month.  That refugees, forced by violence to abandon their homes, may find a generous welcome and the protection of their rights.  (From Pray with the Pope, www.sacredspace.ie)

Study
Monday was the 70th anniversary of the arrest of Anne Frank and her family.  What must they have thought and felt when the Nazis burst through the hidden doorway to drag them away to Auschwitz?  Perhaps Jeremiah’s words came to mind.  From whence comes help for the Jews deported to death camps or today’s civilians in Gaza and Israel?  For young sex slaves in Asia – and the US? For children clinging to the train La Bestia as they try to escape violence in Central America? 

My trials are far from what Anne or others face.  But I certainly have times of wind and waves in my life, whether or my own making or out of my control.  Keeping Jeremiah’s later words in mind or picturing myself as Peter with Jesus reminds me that God’s incredible generosity and protection envelopes me even if I can only perceive war, cruelty, poverty, or gale.  Anne died before her safety was restored.  Many have died due to brutality or lack of basic food and shelter today.  Their restoration was beyond the confines of this life but is promised by a God who promises to “Be Your God”.

Action
Inform your elected officials that the U.S. needs to see children crossing our borders as a humanitarian crisis and that we can help.  Educate yourself on human trafficking or other issues and take action – there are many strategies outlined on the Bishops Website.  Share the bounty of our nation.  Be the active calm in the center of tempest.  Share the light of our God who is their God as well.

No comments: