Tuesday, December 02, 2014

I Give You Praise, Father


By Beth Decristofaro

On that day, a shoot shall sprout from the stump of Jesse, and from his roots a bud shall blossom. (Isaiah 11:1)

Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. (Luke 10:21)

Piety
Two little eyes to look at God. Two little ears to hear His word. Two little lips to sing His praise. Two little feet to walk His ways. Two little hands to do His will. One little heart to love Him still. Amen.  (http://www.prayerbook.com/Prayers/Children/children.htm)

Study
As a little girl my daughter did not like to play games that she did not already know how to play.  Of course, that made it hard to learn new ones.  She told us that she did not like it when she did not “know all the rules” because she liked to win!  As backwards as this seemed, I knew where she got it from.  How many times had I nodded “yes” or played along as if I knew the “rules” or what was expected of me in a given situation because I did not want to admit that I did not know.  It has taken many years for me to figure out that asking is not admitting to stupidity!  (Well, I think that I’ve learned it, at least in part).  In fact, learning new things, re-learning old and worn out or even wrong things can leave me open to revelations and connections with people, myself and to information.

Time and time again the Chosen People had to learn and relearn.  God shows an infinite patience as God sprouts new shoots from a stump.  Jesus knew that some hearts were hardened into prideful egotism.  He tells his followers that divine explanations require new hearing, new seeing, new hearts prepared by God. 

Action
In what way might I be childlike today, open to the wonder of God at every opportunity especially when I am most uncertain or intimidated?  Give praise at opening up eyes, ears and heart to the messages and presence of God.   

No comments: