Wednesday, March 18, 2015

I Cannot Do Anything on my Own

Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Lent

I will turn all my mountains into roadway, and make my highways level. Isaiah 49:11

“I cannot do anything on my own; I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my own will but the will of the one who sent me.” John 5:30

Piety
Suscipe by St. Ignatius of Loyola
Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all I have and call my own. You have given all to me.  To you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace, that is enough for me. Amen.

Study
We never know when we will face the mountain.  Monday morning, Fr. Joe was likely sitting in his room in prayer when a massive stroke event occurred in his body.  One of his Jesuit brothers found him and went with him in the ambulance to Washington Hospital Center. 

The suffering that he is enduring now and offering up will – today’s scripture promises – be levelled out by the Lord.  We do not know when the road will be leveled. We do not know how.  But the rough path that he faces today will be made smooth.

Action
Cursillo is founded on a lot of ideas but one in particular that resonates is that that we cannot do anything on our own.  We can try.  But we need groups.  A team leads us through a weekend with spiritual directors, a rector(a) and an angel.  Tables are the precursor to group reunions after the weekend.  Palanca and prayer partners remind us that we need support of others who are not even present.  Through it all are the gifts of the Holy Spirit that shower upon us the grace to grow.

Please remember others in your prayer and action…the women on the Cursillo this weekend, Fr. Joe and all who are in hospital beds or nursing homes or hospice care, people exposed to the cold weather coming with a final goodbye blast of winter, the typhoon victims in Vanuatu.  Remember them in your prayer, your good works and your charitable giving of time, talent and treasure. They cannot do anything on their own.

What prayers do you need in support from the community?  Consider listing them on the Arlington Cursillo prayer page.

Note:  You can log into Caring Bridge for updates on Fr. Joe’s condition.  As of yesterday, he has made some improvement from the first night.  Family reports that Fr. Joe is conscious.  The medical team has taken out the intubation and his is breathing on his own.  He can pretty firmly squeeze the hand he is holding, and when his niece thanked him for "offering up his suffering for all of us," Fr. Joe gave a big trademarked smile.  Family members are hopeful that the hospital will move him to a room of his own soon.  As far as visitors, for now the Jesuit Community would like to keep visitors to a minimum in order to allow him to stabilize.  Please keep the prayers coming.  

No comments: