Saturday, April 25, 2015

In Due Time


Clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another, for: God opposes the proud but bestows favor on the humble. So humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time. Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you.  1 Peter 5:5B-7

Jesus appeared to the Eleven and said to them: “Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature.”  Mark 16:15

Piety
As I arise today,
may the strength of God pilot me,
the power of God uphold me,
the wisdom of God guide me.
May the eye of God look before me,
the ear of God hear me,
the word of God speak for me.
May the hand of God protect me,
the way of God lie before me,
the shield of God defend me,
the host of God save me.
May Christ shield me today.
Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit,
Christ when I stand,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
Amen

Study
When I worked at the local township library growing up, we would place a stamped card in the back of library books.  It was a reminder of by when the book must be returned.  Now, you electronically check out books on your iPad and after two weeks, the book goes away.  For the time being, the book is yours and then, the rightful owner takes it back to loan it to another patron. 

God allows us to check out a lot of our time to other diversions in life.  We can have bowling night, softball night, or Friday night football.  We can head down to the local bar or coffee house.  We can shop, work out, go to school, and more.  But, sooner or later, in due time, God wants us to know that His time is back.  He sends us out to spend some time doing his work.  It is time to put aside all our diversions and go into the world to proclaim the Gospel.

Action
Is your time due?

For some people, their time for God is an hour on Sunday.  That is a start.  But the words at the end of Mass echo the words of today’s Good News. 

The Dismissal Rite might take many different forms. A blessing is called down upon us and we are told to “Go.” It may be “Go in the peace of Christ.”   Or it may be “The Mass is ended, go in peace.” Or it may be “Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.”  Whichever wording is chosen, the emphasis throughout is on the word “Go.”

Do not stay here in the privacy of this room, this sanctuary, this church.  Take what you have received out into the streets and hearts of the world and share the love. We are not to stay in the Upper Room, huddled with the rest of the Church.  We are to go. Where are you going today?

No comments: