Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Set Apart


While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Then, completing their fasting and prayer, they laid hands on them and sent them off.  Acts 13:2-3

I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness. And if anyone hears my words and does not observe them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save the world.   John 12:46-47

Piety
All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be.  What came to be through him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.  John 1:3-5

Study
The word of God continued to spread and grow. 

The word of God continued to spread and grow while Jesus walked.

The word of God continued to spread and grow while the disciples went out.

The theme of “light and darkness” established in John’s first chapter is expounded today.  Jesus says   that he is the light.  The light is not some elusive force – the light if flesh and blood man on earth.  He shares his perspective in order to bring people to the light.  However, he does not condemn those who do not respond.

This also echoes the famous passage (Chapter 3:16-17):
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.

Action
The word of God continued to spread and grow while it is now entrusted into our hands. 

What inspires you to action today?  There is an image being passed around social media and e-mail with the following passage:

I want.  I want.  I want.
Every day you hear people saying what they want.  Well, this is what I want.
I want people who are sick to be healed.
I want children with no families to be adopted.
I want people to never have to worry about food and shelter and heat.
Most of all, I would like to see our people start to care for one another.

This is the true spirit of the early Christian community depicted in the Acts of the Apostles.  

Whether you are called to help out in Baltimore or Nepal, there is someone who needs you today. 

No comments: