Monday, May 18, 2015

Take Courage

Monday of the Seventh Week of Easter

He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became believers?”  They answered him, “We have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”  He said, “How were you baptized?”  They replied, “With the baptism of John.”  Paul then said, “John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, in Jesus.”  Acts 19:2-4

“Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived when each of you will be scattered to his own home and you will leave me alone.  But I am not alone, because the Father is with me.  I have told you this so that you might have peace in me.  In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.”  John 16:32-33
Piety

In all things, therefore, let all follow the Rule as guide, and let no one be so rash as to deviate from it. Let no one in the monastery follow his own heart's fancy…"Do everything with counsel, and you will not repent when you have done it" (Eccles. 32:24).
Study

We rely upon others.  Today’s readings focus not so much on corporal works of mercy like feeding the hungry as they focus on intellectual and apostolic activities. 

Apollos needed Paul to help him teach baptism in the Holy Spirit. The disciples needed Jesus to teach them that he was from the Father. Even in today’s reading from the Rule, we see how the followers rely upon the wisdom of Benedict, the Abbot/Abbess or senior counselors. 
Action

When was the latest time that you sought out help from others to sort out a difficult issue at work, at school or in your personal life? 

Counseling and coaching go a long way beyond the schoolroom or the athletic pursuit.  We have to recognize that every problem we face was a problem faced by others before us. These days we can have credit counseling, executive coaching, life coaching and more.

Cursillo is founded on this same principle of support from others to get us through the difficult issues we face in life.  Our team, group and parish are Jesus to us.  ”In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” 

Since making my weekend experience, my Cursillo group has ranged in size from one to ten.  Sometimes, I like the smaller groups.  Sometimes, I like the larger groups.  But at all times, I like the groups and the security they provide in keeping me on the Way. 

No comments: