Saturday, June 27, 2015

Is Anything Too Marvelous For The Lord To Do?


But the LORD said to Abraham: “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Will I really bear a child, old as I am?’ Is anything too marvelous for the LORD to do? At the appointed time, about this time next year, I will return to you, and Sarah will have a son.” Genesis 18:13-14

When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him, saying, “Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully.” He said to him, “I will come and cure him.” The centurion said in reply, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed.  Matthew 8:5-6

Piety
Take Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. Thou hast given all to me. To Thee, O lord, I return it. All is Thine, dispose of it wholly according to Thy will. Give me Thy love and thy grace, for this is sufficient for me. (Ignatius Loyola)

Study
Is anything too marvelous for the LORD to do?

Whether responding to the plea of the centurion, the desire of Abraham and Sarah, the illness of Peter’s mother-in-law, or our own needs, nothing is too big or too small for the Lord to accomplish even in the face of doubt from his closest followers.
Three Pilgrims Announce the Birth of Isaac
by Alexander Ivanov

An interesting follow-up note on the significance of naming (which we reflected upon Wednesday in relation to the nativity of John the Baptist).  In the course of the narrative about Sarah having a son at her advanced age, both she and Abraham laughed at the thought.  The notes to the New American Bible point out that the Hebrew word for “laughed” is yishaq, which is also the Hebrew form of the name “Isaac.”

Action
When the Lord visits our tent, I hope we can have a good laugh with Him, too.  May our laugh be rooted in faith, not doubt.  In preparation, let us offer up everything from our strengths to our infirmities for His holy disposal. 

No comments: