Monday, June 29, 2015

Lord, Save Us! We Are Perishing


By Melanie Rigney

The sun was just rising over the earth as Lot arrived in Zoar; at the same time the LORD rained down sulphurous fire upon Sodom and Gomorrah from the LORD out of heaven. He overthrew those cities and the whole Plain, together with the inhabitants of the cities and the produce of the soil. But Lot’s wife looked back, and she was turned into a pillar of salt. (Genesis 19:23-26)

Oh Lord, your mercy is before my eyes.  (Psalm 26:3)

They came and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” He said to them, “Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?” Then he got up, rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was great calm. (Matthew 8:25-26)

Piety
Now I think I’m going down to the well tonight and I’m gonna drink till I get my fill/And I hope when I get old I don’t sit around thinking about it but I probably will/Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of, well time slips away/and leaves you with nothing, mister, but boring stories of glory days. –“Glory Days” by Bruce Springsteen

Study
The good old days, the glory days, if you will. Life was easier then, when we were younger, healthier, prettier or more handsome. The weather was better, and so was the music. And maybe, so were the people.

Change is hard, in the world and in our relationship with the Lord. Sometimes, we see the lesson on the other side, as the apostles did when they were fearful their boat would capsize and Jesus calmed the storm. Other times, we may find our situation more comparable to that of Lot’s wife, who was consumed by her longing for the past.

Maybe the good old days were better. Maybe tomorrow will be even worse. But all we have is the opportunity to do the Lord’s work today, faithfully and fearlessly. Squandering that opportunity by looking back keeps us from doing what He desires.

Action
Show, don’t tell, your beliefs today.

No comments: