Thursday, October 08, 2015

My Friend, My Jesus


By Beth DeCristofaro

Then they who fear the LORD spoke with one another, and the LORD listened attentively; And a record book was written before him of those who fear the LORD and trust in his name. And they shall be mine, says the LORD of hosts (Malachi 16-17)

Jesus said to his disciples: “Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread,… I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence. (Luke 11:5, 8)

Piety
Open our hearts, O Lord, to listen to the words of your Son. (Mass of the Day)

Study
“What a Friend you Have in Jesus” is an old song but is also something that I keep having to relearn each and every day.  Being pretty thickheaded, it is usually in retrospect that I recognize that my Friend has always given me loaves when I have asked for bread. 

When I was a young girl the starving children of Biafra made me distressed, fearful and confused.  I asked that something be done.  My Friend gave me the gift of empathy so that I feel unity with those who suffer and understand compassion. 

Living on my own far from home I asked that my loneliness be taken away. My Friend gave me new friends on which to lean and other friends who needed to lean upon me.

As a young adult I asked for real meaning because life seemed superficial.  My Friend gave me a family who supports me with love and calls me out of my self-centeredness.  

My father grew very ill and I asked that he be cured.  My friend gave me the gift of hope even in the face of death that life is eternal and all would be well.

I asked to know Him better and my Friend sent me mentors and asked me to impart what I learned to others.

I asked for the gift of faith and my Friend gave me Himself in the Eucharist.   

I asked for a renewed spirit.  My Friend introduced me to Cursillo.

I asked to be of service and my Friend asked that I serve the dying as He prepares their eternal homes.

Action
Burdens, Struggles, Weaknesses and Hurts abound.  What are we doing for the friends of our Friend?

No comments: