Thursday, January 07, 2016

God Loves Us First


By Beth DeCristofaro

Beloved, we love God because he first loved us. … This is the commandment we have from him: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.  (1 John 4: 19, 21)

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me (Luke 4:18)

Piety
My God, thank you for loving me first and loving me best.

Study
Recently, we visited young friends and so enjoyed watching them as they delighted in their baby.  The dad held her up in the air watching her smile, tickling her tummy with his beard.  Her grandma sat as she turned the page of a big, sturdy book back and forth, back and forth, patiently marveling at dexterity and the baby’s concentration on colors.  All of us in the room just kept smiling at the sense of wonder and penetrating love.  We all felt and acted goofy with the little sweetie.

How much more does God love us if God gave us the capacity to feel so intensely about our own little ones?  Meditating on this becomes too powerful for me, quite candidly.  My own children are so precious but, honestly, some of my love is influenced by the wants, expectations and fears I have for them.  It isn’t completely pure.  All God wants is that we love Him.  And we love each other.  Within ourselves we have the capacity to know God’s love and once accepted, it can only grow and be given away.

Action
“I’m lovable, God don’t make junk.” My friends’ ten month old believes this as best a baby could understand.  In what ways do I not believe, not accept God’s love, and not feel lovable?  Jesus was anointed by His Father.  His Father sent Jesus to each and every one of us to open the gates of heaven and our own souls to this immense love.  Ask for Jesus’ grace to open your heart even further to find within the love of God planted their first.

No comments: