Thursday, February 04, 2016

Take Nothing for the Journey but My Word


By Beth DeCristofaro

God's Garden blog at www.Carmelites.net

When the time of David’s death drew near, he gave these instructions to his son Solomon: “I am going the way of all flesh. Take courage and be a man. Keep the mandate of the LORD, your God, following his ways and observing his statutes, commands, ordinances, and decrees as they are written in the law of Moses, that you may succeed in whatever you do, wherever you turn, and the LORD may fulfill the promise he made on my behalf  (1 Kings 2: 1-3)

Jesus summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over unclean spirits. He instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick … So they went off and preached repentance. The Twelve drove out many demons, and they anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them. (Mark 6:7, 12-13)

Piety
As You send me out every day of my life, Lord, renew my faith in your Word so that I, created in Your image, will be enough to bring Your light and healing to the world.  And on the day I go the way of all flesh, may I dwell in Your house forever.

Study
St. Teresa was most likely not thinking of King David when she prayed “May you be blessed, Lord, who put up with me for so long.”  There were many contemporary leaders and her own sisters in community who God put up with in spite of their very active ways of doing it “my way.”  Knowing herself so well and the struggles she endured in her own journey of the spirit she undoubtedly spoke of herself as well.

David’s words and the actions of the Twelve inspire me to reach deeper into myself, into the well of faith given me by Christ.  David was a strong leader but a leader who was often and repeatedly driven by his own desires to the detriment of his subjects.  He continually strayed yet repented in true humility and recommitted to his God time and again.  Then at the time of his death he fully believed God’s promise.  He knew God’s word was everlasting.  In the Gospel, Jesus sent the Twelve out with nothing but the Word.  Their faith and their actions in His name were able to bring God’s promise to people in very direct and life-giving ways. 

As I struggle and hope to be a better wife, daughter, chaplain, Christian, Cursillista, citizen, may I remember God’s promise to me in the Everlasting love of Christ Jesus.  And may I renew my commitment to Him every day and on the day of my death.   

Action
Picture yourself, staff in hand, walking with Jesus at your side.  He trusts you to be his healing, directing hands in the world.  What do you say to Him?  In what way do you recommit to Him?

No comments: