Monday, March 28, 2016

Jesus Met Them


And behold, Jesus met them on their way and greeted them. They approached, embraced his feet, and did him homage. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go tell my brothers to go to Galilee,
and there they will see me.”
  Matthew 28:9-10

Piety
I saw the Lord ever before me, with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed. Therefore my heart has been glad and my tongue has exulted; my flesh, too, will dwell in hope, because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world, nor will you suffer your holy one to see corruption. You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence. Psalm 16:8-11

Study
When I worked in various libraries back in high school and college, I remember putting a particular book on the shelf which had a very odd title.  “If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!”

Psychotherapist Sheldon Kopp wrote this book in 1972.  Among other messages, it warned people who were going through periods of personal growth that the “guru” or expert of the day was not the Buddha. To a high school kid who understood little about Buddhism, it seemed counter-intuitive at best to want to kill the leader of your religion.  Had I taken a basic psychology class, I might have understood more about the themes in the book which deals with the essence of therapist-client relationships as a parallel journey of two human beings dependent upon the ability of each to care for the other. 

What would have happened if the wrong people met Jesus on the road that first Easter Sunday?  What if it was the soldiers who so easily gave in to the temptation of the bribe?  They might have done exactly that – killed him or at least tried to do so (again).  Jesus, however, carefully revealed his Risen nature only to true believers.  There was no doubt in the minds and hearts of the women who were leaving the empty tomb.  They immediately embraced his feet, feet that just days ago were anointed with expensive oils and perfumes.  Just as Jesus took on the role of servant and washed the feet of his disciples, these women embraced His holy feet again.   

Just like Jesus’ human life began with the announcement of an angel, his Risen life starts off the same way. 

Action
Our 50-day Easter journey does not end with the pious act of kissing the feet of the Risen Lord.  We must still take up his mission.  Like the women of Jerusalem, we must cast aside our fears and go tell the story to others.  

Where will Jesus meet you today?  What is Jesus telling you to do?  To where is he sending you?

No comments: