Monday, April 18, 2016

The Holy Spirit Fell Upon Them


As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them as it had upon us at the beginning, and I remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said, ‘John baptized with water but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’  If then God gave them the same gift he gave to us when we came to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to be able to hinder God?”  Acts

But whoever enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice, as he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has driven out all his own, he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice.  John 10:2-4

Piety
As the deer longs for streams of water, so my soul longs for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, the living God. When can I enter and see the face of God?  My tears have been my bread day and night, as they ask me every day, “Where is your God?”  Psalm 42:2-4

Study
He calls his own sheep by name.   Jesus does not just say, “Come here.”  He does not just ask everyone to walk with him.  He calls each of us by name. Just like the Lord called Moses.  Abraham.  Isaac.  David.  Mary.  Joseph. 

Sam, hear my voice.
Jenny, walk with me.
Kurt, stay with me.
Mary, lead me on.
Tim, send forth your light.
Sarah, bring me to your holy mountain
Rick, go in to the altar of God.
Paul, lead my people.
Stephen, be the ideal.
Randy, trust in me.
Evan and Cheryl, sing joyfully.
Phil, be the gate.
Esther, please speak.
Brad, listen with the ear of your heart.
Mary Anne, carry out my every wish.
Mike, blessed are you.
Barbara, I have chosen you.
Regina, receive me.
John, let my people go.
Katherine, the Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
Mark, he has anointed you. 
Monica, bring glad tidings to the poor.
Joe, proclaim liberty to captives.
Anna, deliver recovery of sight to the blind.
Michael, let the oppressed go free.
Mal, proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord.

Action
My soul longs for a God who knows my name and calls it out.  Listen for him to answer you when you call out to God.

Every sheep in the flock is equally important to the shepherd.  We know that if any one of us were lost, the Good Shepherd would come to find us. Starting yesterday with Good Shepherd Sunday and continuing this week, we are reminded that regardless of our state in life, regardless of whether we are called to either the sacrament of Marriage or Holy Orders or other consecrated religious life or single life or whatever, we are all equal members of the flock, each sheep known personally by the shepherd.  We are called to our vocation with a small “v” to do the work which Jesus asks.

After all, Christ is counting on you.  And…

No comments: